Polysomnographic Technology Diploma Program
The Polysomnography Technology Diploma Program prepares individuals to work under the supervision of a physician to provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders. The program includes instruction in sleep related human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and physiology of sleep, respiratory physiology, polysomnographic technology, polysomnographic record scoring with emphasis on sleep staging, respiratory, electromyographic and electrocardiographic events, Positive Airway Pressure and Oxygen treatment, sleep disorders, sleep related medical terminology, 10-20 measurement and technologist related psychomotor skills.
Put Your Education to Work
Graduates are in demand for employment in hospital based sleep disorder centers, free standing sleep disorders centers, specialized physicians’ offices, homecare companies and clinical research centers.
- Sleep disorders affect an estimated 15% - 20% of Americans.
- Polysomnography (sleep studies) and associated procedures have become a standard service provided by major medical centers and are increasingly offered by smaller local health providers.
- The American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) accredits more than 1000 sleep disorder centers and laboratories in the practice of sleep medicine.
- The number of sleep centers/laboratories increases every year.
- The Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT) currently lists only 10,000 Registered Polysomnographic Technologists in the world and demand is increasing.
Submit application and $20 non-refundable application fee.
Minimum Required Age: 18
High School Diploma or GED Required: Yes
Minimum Test Scores:
Reading: 38 (ASSET) or 70 (COMPASS)
English: 35 (ASSET) or 23 (COMPASS)
Mathematics: 35 (ASSET) or 26 (COMPASS)
The program code for the Polysomnographic Technology Diploma is PT42.
Most Georgia citizens qualify for the HOPE grants. For more information contact the Financial Aid Office at 478-757-3422. Other financial assistance is available for those who qualify.
Program Curriculum is posted in the catalog.
J. Mark Parrish, C.R.T., RPSGT, RST
Polysomnography Program Coordinator
April K. Anthony, RPSGT